Re: Proposed Menu Changes for GL Rewrite

I knew the scope of this would grow :-D

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 12:04 AM, Pongrácz István <..hidden..> wrote:

----------------eredeti üzenet-----------------
Feladó: "Chris Travers" <..hidden..>
Címzett: "Development discussion for LedgerSMB" <..hidden..>
Dátum: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 07:08:53 -0700

Hi;

I am proposing the following menus for the GL section of the rewrite.

These would behave identically to the equivalents in 1.4, except that they have been slightly re-arranged.  Additionally a statement of cash flows would be new.

Journal and Ledger
  Add Journal Entry
  Add JE Vouchers
  Search Journal/GL
  Search Batches
  Chart of Accounts
  Year End
  Add Account
  Import Journal Entry
  Import Chart

Financial Statements
  Trial Balance
  Income Statement/PNL
  Balance Sheet
  Statement of Cash Flows

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.

Hi,

I would like to share some thoughts with you, regarding recent functions which has no forms yet.

Specifically:

  • FX rate list with filters (date range, currency) - at this moment one cannot have a list about FX rates or even add a new one by hand for a specific date
The above is for daily rates, I assume.  Sure, probably a good idea.
  • user controllable URL to get FX rate and some common source from the internet (by rules, here we use MNB's FX rate in the accounting)
In practice I suspect that this will never be as simple as "click here."  I suspect the best solution here would be to support add-ons which would go out every day and download fx rates from somewhere.
  • audit trail:
    • extending the audit trail to have entries about login, logout with IP addresses, and more if you have more idea,
    • on an investigation, inspector should follow the activity of a user in the timeline, even a log with what data changed and what was the previous value
Long run, if we make everything append-only, we should be able to realize that ability to check history sliced however.
    • in-application form to be able to see the activity with clickable links (opened in new window) to records, like invoice, transactions
    • only read-only of course
    • I think it could be a bigger task
Yeah, it is a big task, not so much for GL stuff (I am essentially building that in, though without the IP addresses).  For financial transactions the rules are relatively simple: we record who enters, who approves, and who deletes.  Things cannot be deleted once approved.  So it is simple.  Audit trails are simple enough in that case.

But for mutable information (chart of accounts info, contact info, etc) that would be a big job.
  • how to manage recurring invoices, like subscriptions
    • especially, how can a customer subscribe or cancel its subscriptions without human (operator) interactivity? In Magento there is a recurring profile, but it limited to paypal payments etc., so, as a 3rd party solution Magento is not as good I thought before.
    • workflow could be: in each period the client could get a proforma invoice or real invoice to pay -> when client pays and the payment recorded in the system, it issues an invoice (when proforma is sent) and/or a notification the subscription period changed
    • usually a recurring invoice has some data changes, like a note: "This invoice covers the following service period: 2014.09 full month"
      So, using variables will be necessary, like <?lsmb YYYY.MM ?> and so on

this area needs additional discussion.  I am going to put it in a stage right after GL, before ar/ap transactions.

These points need to polish of course, they are not a complete specification.

Any comments?

Cheers,

István

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more