Re: 1.5 company entity relation

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 5:40 AM, herman vierendeels <..hidden..> wrote:
Hello all,

For the moment, it is impossible for a company to have more than one
entity atached to it.

because of field entity_id
"company_entity_id_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (entity_id) REFERENCES entity(id)

Would it be possible in 1.5 to have Company without field entity_id ?

Just easing the db restriction won't do much for the limit.  There's a fair bit of logic that operates under the assumption that this join is 1:1.

Then we could have a company that at the same time can be
customer
vendor

This is possible and why entity_credit_account->entity is a many to one join.  This isn't exposed to the UI in 1.3, but it is fully exposed to the UI in 1.4 (you can open up a customer and add a vendor agreement).

employee (half-time employee with own business)

I think we have some UI work to do but there's no *inherent* reason why you can't have a customer eca attached to an employee person.  Currently all employees are assumed to be natural persons but that could be changed relatively easily.

That's a UI issue though.  We'd need to think about the best way to address this.  Right now we assume that entity class 3 persons are just employees and nothing else.  Again, that's what the UI supports, not what the db supports.

A case where I could see "sub-company" logic being helpful would be if one needed to track holding companies which might have various companies as customers or vendors.  I could see this being an issue for certain forms of consulting.  I don't know what we'd do about the UI though.

http://www.efficito.com/learn_more.shtml