Re: For 1.5 would it be a good idea to integrate with Geonames?

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 3:37 AM, Pongrácz István <..hidden..> wrote:

I check it, it seems it can found my village, so, it is working :) As I can see, the licensing is CC and there are some limits (2000 request per hour, 30000 per day) but I think 30000 per day could be enough for most users :)

It should be an option to upload our own geo database, which also could include street names too. In Hungary it is possible to access to a free database, which contains the fresh information.

Certainly their paid downloads would make life easier but my thinking was actually to take the free CC-BY downloads, turn them into a PostgreSQL extension (with attribution, links in the docs, etc).

I am not looking at interfacing with their web services.  I am hoping that it would further be of general interest by geospacial apps so a good place on pgxn would be helpful to us too.  Hopefully it would help cultivate contributions to geonames too.