Re: Proposal: move template editing to setup.pl

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 1:13 AM, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Erik Huelsmann <..hidden..> wrote:

Thinking about the structure of our menu (from login.pl), I've found that all the menu settings other than the template editing are database / company local.

However, template editing is an action with global impact. In the current structure this is not apparent. Since 'setup.pl' is typically growing to be for more advanced users who should understand the difference between database specific and global changes, I'd like to move template editing to setup.pl.

[snip]

What do you say?

A second approach (something we have planned to do but not done yet, would be to move the templates into the database.  This would allow the templates to be per company which would be quite a bit better than what we have.  We hoped to do that in 1.3.  It might get done in 1.5 with a little effort.

I guess that now that we have a way to upload attachments, we probably have the right infrastructure to store the templates as well. I like this idea better, actually, because it allows creating "template sets": sets of templates which together address the full templating need.

The current solution doesn't really work that way: we have all non-LaTeX templates stored twice in our templates/ directory because of it, but this kind of solution could prevent that.

+1

Bye,

Erik.