Re: Default Super-user login for setup.pl?

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 04:01:58AM -0700, Chris Travers wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:32 AM, Robert James Clay <..hidden..> wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > ? ? Is there a reason why the Super-user login fielde in setup.pl is
> > defaulted to be "postgres" rather than "ledgersmb"? Considering how
> > using "ledgersmb" is emphasized in the documentation, it seems confusing
> > to me to still have it defaulted to "postgres"... ? (Note that I have it
> > patched to be "ledgersmb" as of the 1.3.15-2 debian package, which I'm
> > hoping is on it's way into Debian unstable.)
>
> You could create a ledgersmb superuser, but that would require using
> command utils first.
>
> I wonder if we have parts of our documentation out of date.  It used
> to be that we recommended creating a database as  a non-superuser
> named ledgersmb which the software would connect as.  With 1.3 that
> has changed so now we connect with user provided.   I will go through
> the docs again and see what's out of date.
>
> Best Wishes,
> Chris Travers

I had some health problems so I disappeared for a while.

Off the top of my head, that is probably right in OpenBSD.
postgres user is required for the initial PostgreSQL install,
absolutely, but maybe not after. I will give it a run to see if all
works fine. I run my own superusers for my other databases.
Should work.
Would make install easier and simpler.

Changing my mind halfway through, I would still have to run initial
commands to setup another super user while running as postgres. Any stage
after that doesn't need postgres user.

Chris Bennett