Re: The Great Licensing Discussion

    Chris> So, suppose we do this.  What would it mean for contribution?

    Chris> If you are a current developer, would you be more or less
    Chris> likely to contribute in the future if the code was
    Chris> BSD-licensed?

    Chris> If you are not a current developer, would you be more or less
    Chris> likely to join development in the future if the code was
    Chris> BSD-licensed?

I am mostly agnostic, given that much of the code is GPLv2.
What matters more than the license, is the mechanism by which I
contribute.   LedgerSMB had severe problems accepting code as a result of
licensing decisions (version n+1 not GPL).

    Chris> The second is this.  I am planning on writing reference
    Chris> implementations for the stored procedure discovery routines
    Chris> in other languages, namely PHP and Python.  At present I
    Chris> don't see a reason not to license these pieces of my work
    Chris> under a BSD-style license, though I am open to comment here.

Why are you doing this work?
Who is it is for?  Do they care?
I have no objection to having the code.   BSD 2-clause is entirely
compatible with GPLv2, and can be relicensed as GPLv2.

] ..hidden.. http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
	               then sign the petition.