Re: A feature request: file attachments

Hi Hugh,

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Hugh Esco <..hidden..> wrote:
As I approach a point where I handle nearly all of
my transactions online these days, and spend time
on every purchase saving a pdf receipt or invoice
documenting the exchange . . .

I was thinking last night that I would love it if
(particularly AP transaction and client) objects might
be related to file uploads.  I would like to see
our pdf invoices we're paying be attached to the
AP transaction which documents its payment.

Your timing couldn't be better! Chris sent a mail to ledger-smb-users@ just hours before you sent your mail our way on the development list, soliciting feedback on the UI details and general idea of attached documents to AR and AP transactions.

Perhaps a bank statement could be attached to a
reconciliation; a contract or customer agreement
could be attached to a customer record; an invoice
to an AP transaction.  There are certainly other
uses for this.

In his proposal, bank reconciliation and general GL transactions aren't being addressed, but possibly the system under consideration could be extensions to include these types of uses.

I've heard from the folks at RT that loading a pg
database with excessive attachments leads to a
significant performance hit.  Perhaps these
attachments could be stored in the file system instead.

With respect to the technical side; Chris has expressed the desire to store within-database. He argues - and I agree - that it's much easier to backup a database including within-database documents than a database with external references.

Does anyone else think it would be useful to drill
down through the reports in LSMB and find the
original invoices?

Yes!

Could you join the discussion  on the users@ list? Hopefully, that results in a balanced solution.

Bye,