Re: Employee search question for 1.3

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Luke <..hidden..> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2011, Chris Travers wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 12:02 PM, John Locke <..hidden..> wrote:
>>> Hi, Chris,
>>>
>>> The current defaults look reasonable to me... possibly adding the email
>>> field. If this can be changed in the database (as it sounds like you've
>>> set up), that should be fine to start.
>>
>> One of the huge differences between 1.3 and 1.2 is that an employee,
>> customer, or vendor can have any number of email addresses, postal
>> addresses for sales/shipping (but only one address for billing), phone
>> numbers, etc.  If we want to display this info, how do we choose what
>> to display?  I suppose we could just display every email address,
>> phone number, etc.
>
> I wasn't following this.  Display where?

On the search results.

> If you're talking about use, such as on invoices, orders, and what not,
> why not go with select fields?

Yes.  That's how we handle shiptos.

> I can imagine, for example, a dropdown of email addresses, on the email
> page for where to send an invoice.

Well, for billing, there really ought to be an authoritative contact
record.  Thinking about this for emailing we might want to create a
new contact_class record for billing email with a unique constraint on
the (credit_id, contact_class) field where the class id is this one.
PostgreSQL's partial unique indexes can help here.