Re: Tax account creation: how to 'detect' tax accounts?

Luke wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jun 2011, Erik Huelsmann wrote:

the check marks in the screen say "Include in selection list"; a user
might deselect the check marks, resulting in the above logic to
conclude that the account is no longer a tax account. The conclusion
is incorrect of course.

For sanity's sake, those checkmarks should revert to unchecked, and the properties not be saved, if the tax checkbox is not selected.

If it's not selected as a tax account, it shouldn't be permitted to appear in tax dropdowns. That will prevent accidentally selecting it for dropdowns, but forgetting to mark it as a tax account.

On gTalk, we agreed the best course of action is to add a
characteristic to the account's 'account' record to say it's a tax
account. When that check mark is selected, there should also be a row
in the 'tax' table which describes the calculation rules to be
applied. We should probably deny changing the 'tax' check mark after
the account has been posted to though [if we really want that, I
should look into triggers in the database to achieve that goal; no
idea off hand how to arrange that denial].

Why?

I mean, I know it would be kind of nonsensical to uncheck that box after the fact, but if for some reason someone really wanted to, maybe they should be able to.

So I'll ask the question: is there any conceivable reason why someone might want to uncheck a tax account?

Non-profit organizations that don't have to pay sales tax?

Rod
--
The only one I can think of, is someone wanting to temporarily prevent that tax from being calculated or included. I don't know why you'd want to do that, either, but I don't know everything everyone might need to do under unusual circumstances.

Luke