Re: State of Perl-based database setup utilities for LedgerSMB 1.3

On 28/05/2011 19:09, David F. Skoll wrote:
On Sat, 28 May 2011 14:08:39 +0100
Lyle <..hidden..> wrote:
I'm not sure I like a web-based interface.  This makes automated
installations and testing much harder.

Wouldn't Test::WWW::Mechanize make this pretty straight forward?
Ugh.  That's really a bad approach; it means you need a working
web server before you can even do any unit tests.

I thought you were talking about testing against a web based interface that the end user is ready to use,  or an already setup LSMB to ensure it was working properly.
If not, people have been using Test::WWW:::Mechanize for years without a working web server:
http://use.perl.org/~Ovid/journal/32165
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Test-WWW-Mechanize-Catalyst/

I guess it depends on what you are used to. Some users will not be
used to installing and making packages on the command line, so for
them a web interface would likely be more intuitive.
It's far easier to wrap a command-line tool in a Web interface than
coerce a Web interface to be usable from the command-line.

Really, all the work should be done by Perl modules, which can then be
layered by both a command-line tool and a Web interface.

No question :)

Lyle