Debug suggestions for lsmb

I think a few years ago someone mentioned some debugging lines that
could be added to code to enable some form of trace. I seem to have
lost my notes on this and googling is not helping. I'm probably not
searching under the right terms (poor perl skills). I know we cannot
animate  this stuff, but I am used to poking into black boxes and
sending something to a log or screen. I would like to trace the
current value of some variables (transdate) as it flows through the
system.

Can anyone slap me with a clue stick?

Thanks,
Gerald.