Re: Evaluating Catalyst and other frameworks

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Alejandro Imass <..hidden..> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:
>>> Hi all;

[..]

>> Would this be an interesting time to look at a joint venture between
>> LedgerSMB and p2ee ? My Inventory module was due to release in
>> December but I paused it due mainly to stress. Most of the p2ee
>> general framework ideas are done and only needed tom complete the
>> first actual application. I would be glad to set-up a working
>> development environment or wait until I publish the Development
>> Virtual Box.
>
> Absolutely.  What are your ideas here?

Perhaps the p2ee is a bit too radical to port LSMB just like that, but
I am more than eager for you to take a look at what we're doing and
see if perhaps you like the framework. Everything is based on defining
the business processes and these are defined in XML based on Workflow
(CPAN Workflow).

It's based on Catalyst, but it's not a fork or anything like that. In
fact is more like individual applications that are developed using
Catalyst. There are however, components that conform the framework
that eventually will be published as Catalyst plugins, for example the
main p2ee controller is a extension of the catalyst rest controller
ans so forth. In any case, each app is intended to be deployed as a
CPAN lib, well that's actually not that hard given that Cat apps are
designed that way.

The Inventory Application is very advanced, but I have NOTHING planned
for GL. In fact I was thinking of interfaciong with GNU Cash, LSMB and
SL. My development schedule had 3 priority applications: 1) Inventory,
2) Sales, 3) Purchasing. I have a couple of old SL clients to migrate
to p2ee inventory, sales and purchasing with no need for GL.

Anyway, what I offer is to complete my developpment VM (A Sun VM in
Linux) , as the installation and config would probably drive many away
right off the bat, and then help you or any one else here to evaluate
and test what we're doing. I would be more than happy to merge with
this great effort you have put into LSMB.

Cheers!
Alejandro Imass