Re: Proposed Architecture Changes in 2.0 (Request for comments)

Chris Travers wrote:
3)  Each database-based object should have a number of different
constructors including one from a "flat representation," one that
copies internal representation elements passed in the arg string, and
one which retrieves from the database via the appropriate keys.

I still feel this is a really, really bad idea - implicitly pulling data
from the arg string and treating DB instances as partial representations
of the request object is A Bad Idea.
Even when dealing with very long incoming POSTs, directly creating DB
objects from the request strikes me as ill-advised. I think further
discussion on this is definitely warranted.

Regardless of where we automate such a transformation, I think it
would be helpful to automate it.  Is there a specific objection to
automating the movement from a flat representation to a native
representation?  Or do you think there is a better place to put such
automation?

At the moment, I'm agreeing with Aurynn. But, I also don't see the point of such an automated transformation. What benefit would this provide?

My gut reaction (without a use case, anyway) is that this sounds neat on paper but potentially opens up bad-data injection problems. If someone really wants, say, a RESTful interface to GL transactions that supplies text/plain format CSV data, that should be easily added - as an addon. The converse should hold true for custom import functionality, no?

--
-Adam Thompson
 <..hidden..>