Re: Encrypted bank account info

I sent a query to Chris T on IRC, but had to leave before he could answer. A Gittens did respond and we thought it would be worth copying the list.

Luke wrote:
On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Chris Travers wrote:

Similar but slightly different.  Both allow storage of an banking
institution code and an account number.

1.3 allows multiple bank accounts per customer/vendor record.

Presumably with some kind of nickname or account note functionality?

For one thing, for record keeping, I was thinking that if the encrypted number had an unencrypted handle--a sequence--you could use that in transactional records. The only thing would be that you could not allow changing of bank account numbers associated with a particular sequence, so that the same pointer always pointed to the same thing, even if it wasn't used any more.

Realistically, though, encrypting them could cause all kinds of headaches which may not be worth the effort for reasons already stated.

I would say that users with the "view full bank info" permission should be able to view and edit bank info, whereas users without such a permission should only be able to reference it (I.E. "****4755" for "17732694755"). That's a UI info, but it would keep the full number from being thrown back and forth to browsers unnecessarily. Of course, it too would probably require unique sequence IDs for bank account numbers or rows containing them.

No, this isn't really an answer to your direct question.

To encrypt or not to encrypt: I don't think it makes a difference, as long as a mechanism exists to decrypt with the right access level. Cracking below that should be prevented by the UI from gaining access to the full info; and above that the point is moot because they'll get it anyway.

Luke

From IRC #ledgersmb
< sbts> metatrontech: just reading through the
        Encrypted bank account info thread
< sbts> I am wondering how nessecary(sp?) this is.
< sbts> most businesses I know around here, don't worry much about
        keeping account detiails secret, you even see them put
        documents with there own details on straight in the rubbish,
        not even shredded.
< sbts> metatrontech: certainly here, most companies print their bank
        details on every invoice they issue,
        direct deposits are a common way for payments to be made,
        even for one off customers
< agittins> sbts: totally agree re account details (i'm in qld) -
            in oz the only thing you can do,
            armed with a bsb and account number,
            is give that person money
< agittins> i'd posit that any country that allows otherwise
            has a financial system which is very seriously broken
< agittins> the real question perhaps should be
            "should lsmb offer to store credit card details,
              and if so, how do we do it?"
< agittins> as actual banking details are about as sensitive as
            addresses -
            just google for "direct deposit details bsb"
to see how many companies happily put their account
            details on the web
< sbts> agittins: that is how I see it too.

< sbts> agittins: would you mind if I just copt/paste our comments
        re bank details to the mailing list?
< agittins> yep, no worries. you are welcome to just
            paraphrase it if you like, or copy/paste

Regards
David G (sbts)