Re: file ownership, or INSTALL vs INSTALL.manual vs install.sh vs README in 1.3.0b3

Implementing fixes to these.  Discussion inline.

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Adam Thompson <..hidden..> wrote:
> (applicable to SVN trunk and AFAIK 1.3.0_b3, I haven't checked any older
> versions)
>
> First, the facts:
>
> 1) In INSTALL, we see:
>
>> Apache must be able to read and write /path/to/ledgersmb13/templates/
>> Make sure the /path/to/ledgersmb13/templates directory is read-writable by
>> user:group apache:apache, or as appropriate for your distribution's Apache
>> conventions.
>> Apache must also be able to read (but not write) /path/to/ledgersmb13/ and its
>> subdirectories.
>
> 2) Then in INSTALL.manual, we see:
>
>> Apache must be able to read and write to the templates/ directory
>> Make sure the templates directory is read-writable by
>> user:group apache:apache, or as appropriate for your distribution's Apache
>> conventions.
>> Apache must also be able to read (but not write) ledgersmb13/ and its
>> subdirectories.
>
> 3) But in install.sh, we have instead:
>
>> chown $username spool templates css

Spool needs to be documented as requiring write permissions.

css needs to be writeable if and only if you want to use the built-in
editor for CSS.  I generally recommend against this,

> 4) Meanwhile in doc/README, we see:
>
>> SET PERMISSION:
>> ---------------
>> change directory to /usr/local/ledger-smb
>> # chown -hR nobody:nogroup templates css spool
>> replace nobody:nogroup with the web server user and group.
>> Some systems use apache:apache, www, www-data, ...
>

> Then, the questions & my conclusions:
>
> 1) templates needs to be writable by the web server, that's consistent.
>
> 2) do css/ and spool/ need to be writable or not?  Writing to spool/
> makes sense, writing to css/ isn't quite so obvious.  I haven't found
> any instances of code needing to write to css/ yet.
>
> 3) for readability, I'd recommend replacing the INSTALL.manual text with
> the text found in INSTALL.
>
> 4) since the SVN tree and tarballs both create a directory called
> "ledger-smb", I think either the directory name should be changed in the
> tree, or the references to "ledgersmb13" in the two INSTALL* files
> should be changed.  As-is, the references are ambiguous since there's no
> directory actually called "ledgersmb13" as far as I can tell.

This is good feedback.  Anyone have any other feedback on this?

> 5) I don't have any clue whether the files under templates/ should be
> writable by apache (or nobody, or whatever) even if the directory is;
> the script only makes the directory writable whereas the command in the
> README file makes all the files in the directory writable as well.  The
> INSTALL* files don't cover this explicitly.

The built-in editor needs to have write permissions if you want to use
it.  I would generally recommend against it though unless you need
this feature.  I will look at getting something in the docs to this
effect.