Re: file ownership, or INSTALL vs INSTALL.manual vs install.sh vs README in 1.3.0b3

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010, Adam Thompson wrote:

(applicable to SVN trunk and AFAIK 1.3.0_b3, I haven't checked any older
versions)

1) In INSTALL, we see:

Apache must be able to read and write /path/to/ledgersmb13/templates/
Make sure the /path/to/ledgersmb13/templates directory is read-writable by
user:group apache:apache, or as appropriate for your distribution's Apache
conventions.
Apache must also be able to read (but not write) /path/to/ledgersmb13/ and its
subdirectories.

Not that it probably matters, but my preferred language for this would be:

Apache must be able to read and write the template directory
Make sure the ledgersmb13/templates directory is read-writable by
user "apache", group "apache", or as appropriate for your distribution's Apache conventions.
Apache must also be able to read (but not write) ledgersmb13/ and its
subdirectories.

However, if the /path/to stuff really serves some purpose (as in: there are two ledgersmb13 directories? although how this would differentiate that, I don't know), I suppose it could stay. Still, the section title, and its extraneous slash, should change, imho.

My opinion is that anyone reading this document knows enough to include the appropriate above-ledgersmb13 path, or change directories to get above it, or whatever, in order to execute chown or chmod as needed. If not, they're probably using an automated install, and not reading the install doc for these details.

I changed the user and group phrasing, because "user: group" with the respective backreference of "apache:apache" really doesn't help anything. Either they know how to use chown, in which case just telling them the proper user and group is enough; or they don't, in which case "user:group" doesn't tell them anything, except that something they don't know how to do is expected of them. I haven't read the document, so don't know if there is a chown example, but if so that is the appropriate place for a "USER:GROUP" type placeholder.

JMO.

Luke