Re: Serialized Inventory

blck shp <blckshp.sp@...> writes:
> Are there plans for serial tracking in lsmb?
> Had a possible solution,
> but didn't know if there were any GAAP guidelines to follow. I have
> the basic idea, but do not know the existing business logic and
> program flow. Is there a clear outline of modules and scripts and how
> they work concerning COGS, inventory, parts and assemblies and
> transactions (and reversals)? How do you recommend starting? Perhaps
> changing the code to work, or create modules to call? TIA.

The existing LedgerSMB 1.2 feature for serial number tracking is a 'serial
number' field in each line item for the following document types:

Sales Order -> Sales Invoice -> Shipment

Purchase Order -> Receiving -> Vendor Invoice

It has been several months since I checked the data flow, but my recollection
is that the serial number persists per line item for each of the two tracks,
but some customization will be necessary to track a serial number all the way
through. You have to make LedgerSMB transcribe the serial number field to the
other document type.

It is certainly possible and a very worthwhile feature. I would recommend
doing such work against trunk (1.3) to get the longest lifecycle for the
customization.

Jeff