Re: RFC: Proposed Framework Change for 1.4

Hi Chris;

I think there may be some misunderstandings here :-)

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Chris Bennett <..hidden..> wrote:
4 and 5 sound good, but also a bit complex for someone wanting to
contribute to get their mind wrapped around it. I think some good
documentation and comments would probably be worth the effort from here
forward. As more and more old code is removed, it seems like a better
time is arriving for new people to help.

Well, 4 would have to be started by folks who know the current code a bit or are not adverse to getting up to speed on it.  However, once done, it WOULD make it easier for folks to contribute.  We ARE working hard on documentation.  8.3 will have man pages for the perl modules.

#5 is probably going to be stuff the heavy-duty developers take on to start with, then open it up.

Moving UI stuff outside of workflow will also give a lot of
opportunities for people who don't know much db stuff, but good with UI
stuff to really add to those areas.

Just to be clear:  1.3 moves the UI templates outside the workflow scripts where we have been able to do so.  I want to move the rendering call out side of those scripts in 1.4.  This is not a lot of code (1 call per workflow stage roughly), and the templates are already separate.

The difference is that it would be possible to insert code between the workflow script and the render call if necessary.