Re: Screenshots for 1.3, page layout

John1 wrote:

I guess I am going to propose language-specific CSS filles for now.
Handheld support is desirable, but at the moment, Pocket IE is not
supported.  Minimo works but I found it to be unstable.  I don't know
about mobile opera, and pocket IE can be supported by add-on
developers for their add-ons without a lot of work.

I wouldn't have thought that there would be that much demand for handheld support, but certainly worth laying the foundations for handheld support in the way that page structure is implemented.

Since I run a small company, I see a real use for applications that I can use with a handheld or cell phone browser. I am struggling with my poor dbi/SQL skill level right now to setup a database of vendors, SKU numbers and prices that I can use both in the office
and also in the field from my cell phone browser to give faster estimates.
(Just wish that vendors would put up their price lists in easily parse-able formats!)

Since payments and some other items are easier to enter right on the spot, this would help me not fall behind with this work. I can get a little sloppy with purchases by lumping them together (for each job) if I have to. But I really need to keep on top of payments and wages!
It may seem a bit pedantic but I think it will make a big difference
to the application if a lot of thought is put into page design and
layout. An aligned layout is easier on the eye, easier to read and
therefore quicker and more userfriendly to use.

Actually, how about several users hand drawing the kinds of layouts that they want to have. I know pencil and ruler are old-fashioned, but I still use them occasionally! A quick scan and and a file is ready to be studied. With some sample formats, the CSS is pretty easy to make. I'm not usually a big fan of javascript, seems like it would be easy to have a few master CSS's that do everything and make a little script to delete unwanted features. I would guess that there would be 3-4 distinctly differnet designs. CSS makes it easy to make the same HTML look wildly different

Chris Bennett

  -- Robert Heinlein