Re: Row-level security?

Chris Travers wrote:
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Roderick A. Anderson <..hidden..> wrote:
I understand that 1.3 (or maybe 1.4) will have access to tables
controlled via a role.  (Did I state that correctly?).

While doing some searching I read that row-level security wasn't going
to be available in PostgreSQL until 8.5.

That's correct. There are a lot of very problematic issues around row-level security (not the least of which is Foriegn Keys) which we were not able to work out in time for 8.4.

You can, of course, continue to use VIEWs to implement row-level security. However, trying to do that for a variety of ROLEs is somewhat difficult ... especially since auto-updatable VIEWs also didn't make the cut for 8.4. I recommend a function-based API.

On the up side, column-level security did make it.

--Josh