Currency relationships in pl's and PM's

I am hunting down a bug or misconfiguration in my 1.13 version.

I am not seeing currency set in the tables (oe, ar ..etc) so I have set it
manually.
If I go to Defaults > " Enter up to 3 letters separated by a colon (i.e
CAD:USD:EUR) for your native and foreign currencies"
and enter "USD" or :"USD:CAD"
Nothing is written to the defaults table.

Other things like business number are written fine.
If I write USD:CAD to the table directly, no behavior changes other but is
there in the DB but still not on the defaults page display.

An order is supposed to inherit its's currency from a customer correct?
I am missing currency on all stuff unless I manually set it.
(only using USD as currency)

The thing is we have custom code so if this is not a misconfiguration or known
bug it may be something we did.
It could have been an import issue but I have to manually set every "curr" I
can find to USD by running the following:

UPDATE customer SET curr = 'USD';
UPDATE ar SET curr = 'USD';
UPDATE ap SET curr = 'USD';
UPDATE oe SET curr = 'USD';
UPDATE partsvendor SET curr = 'USD';
UPDATE vendor SET curr = 'USD';
After running this I still get no currency in new oe items.
Even setting the Postgres default to USD in a curr column does not help.

Thanks for any input
Turtle

FYI the .asc file is a digital signature and is missing from this email.
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy for more info.