Re: Freebsd 11 Ledgersmb 1.5.6

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 10:54:21 +0800
David G <..hidden..> wrote:

> Hi Geordie,
>

> Ok, a couple of things stand out here.
>
> On 18/04/17 02:41, Geordie wrote:
> Hi
> > I have encountered some errors while starting LedgerSMB. There is a
> > good possibility I have messed things up. As a side note I have
> > played with permission on the the folder /usr/local/www/ledgersmb
> > Tried    root:wheel
> > 	 www:www
> > 	 ledgersmb:ledgersmb
> > and basically get the same results
> > results below with www:www In actual fact, it shouldn't matter at
> > all what the permissions on the directory (and contained files)
> > are, as long as the user that *RUNS* LedgerSMB has permission to
> > READ all of the LedgerSMB files and execute any that have their
> > execute bit set out of the box.
>
> Generally we recommend creating a special system user (ledgersmb or
> similar) that is used to RUN LedgerSMB
>
> NOTE: As with any web app, the RUNNING user should NEVER have WRITE
> permissions to ANYTHING except the tempdir and backupdir
>

> > I am sure this matters ledgersmb is in a jail
> >
> > uname -a
> > FreeBSD jledgersmb15 11.0-STABLE FreeBSD 11.0-STABLE #0 r314815: Tue
> > Mar  7 09:28:20 EST 2017
> >
> > Ledgersmb 1.5.6 from git
> > Looks like the cause of most of your errors is probably here,#
> > starman -l :8080 -www ledgersmb -group For the 1.5 series you need
> > a slightly different starman commandline.
>
> If you have a look at README.md and
> conf/systemd/ledgersmb_starman.service you will notice that the
> "standard" command to start LedgerSMB is.... starman --listen
> localhost:5762 -I lib tools/starman.psgi
> > Before running that, you should already be in the correct
> > directory, and it should be run as the correct user
> The following bash script should be adequate if sudo is available on
> the system. If sudo isn't installed you would need to either install
> it, modify the script to use su, or modify the script to be run as
> the correct user by some other mechanism.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> >
> > clear;
> >
> > ####
> > # setup the user and group to run LedgerSMB as
> > ###
> > LSMB_User='ledgersmb'
> > LSMB_Group='ledgersmb'
> > LSMB_installdir='/usr/local/www/ledgersmb'
> >
> > ####
> > # You may need to set the following variables if you are using
> > local::lib and NOT running this script as the installing user ####
> > #    export PERL5LIB='/home/ledgersmb/perl5/lib/perl5'
> > #    export PERL_LOCAL_LIB_ROOT='/home/ledgersmb/perl5/lib/perl5'
> > #    export PERL_MB_OPT=--install_base "/home/ledgersmb/perl5"
> > #    export PERL_MM_OPT=INSTALL_BASE=/home/ledgersmb/perl5
> >
> > ####
> > # Run starman and LedgerSMB with as the user $LSMB_User
> > # Also ensure any local::lib environment variables are correctly
> > set. #   They are taken from values set above, or if not set from
> [...]
Hi DavidG

The  4 jails that I set up over the last 5 days were all with user:group
ledgersmb with /usr/home/ledgersmb

my results today with starman -I lib --listen
localhost:5762 /usr/home/ledgersmb/LedgerSMB/tools/starman.psgi were
even more horrific.  I did not try your script I apologise.

So after 8 years of using LedgerSMB I think I will move on. I can only
recall one year where the install wasn't terrible

Also I am new to Freebsd and it is not the same as Debian. So that too
is a learning curve

I do appreciate your help

Thanks
Geordie