Re: 1.5.3 install

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 11:30:37PM +0100, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 9:25 PM, R. Ransbottom <..hidden..> wrote:

> > I have been distracted, but things are settling down somewhat so I'm starting 1.5.3.

> Just ... released 1.5.4. Can I suggest you use that? The

I will do that.

> Why are the "in-depth installation instructions" not part of the
> > distribution?

> That's a deliberate choice: we can update the docs on our site, even after
> the release has sailed, but we can't update any instructions in the release

It would be better to include them with a "the latest corrected version is
available at http:..." in the the preface.   Up-front references to and from
the README.md would also be worthwhile.

> Let us know what you're finding with 1.5.3/1.5.4.

Will do.

I can offer some help.

I have no experience with web applications, internationalization, the modern
character sets,  nor with large projects.  I do have a good grasp of business
practices and accounting particularly with U.S. wholesale and retail trade.
I am fairly competent with postgresql.

My Perl ability could be applied to refactoring some of your code.
A quick look at 1.3.* or 1.4.* found some low hanging fruit:  bits of
redundant or unreachable code; runtime code where compile time code should
work; and a lack of basic idioms.

Rob