Re: Migrating from 1.3.30 to 1.5.3

Hi Bill,

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 8:27 PM, bill Ott <..hidden..> wrote:

Hi, Erik. Apparently I am not migrating this properly. The version from the SQl select command was  1.3.30.

I moved the database by doing "pg_dumpall -c > dumpdata" from the 1.3.30 system but using the pg_dumpall program from the  1.5.3 system.   I then  issued "psql -f dumpdata postgres" on the 1.5.3 system.  Then logging into the 1.5.3 system with psql  and executing a "\l" shows all of the databases.  BUT, the version field from default is 1.3.30

Ok. That explains at least some of it. Which instructions have you been using for your migration? Can you provide some details as to how you handled each of the steps in the instructions? Having that information will help me understand where you're currently at with your migration.

Very odd the every select I tried on the database works correctly even though the version is the old version.

Right. You made an exact copy of your database. Which means that all queries should work as they did under 1.3.

How should I proceed?  Can I just  use SQl to modify the version field, or would that just be making things worse?

Just changing the number through an SQL statement will not help to resolve the situation: the new software won't know it's talking to an old database version, leaving them in Babylon.

--
Bye,

Erik.

Robust and Flexible. No vendor lock-in.