Re: Emailing statements to account holders

Hi Julien,

On 17/06/16 06:38, Julien Lamarche wrote:
Hello,

 Is there a way to email account statements on a monthly basis to the
account holder?
There is certainly the capability to send emails from LedgerSMB,
I've just had a quick look, and I don't think 1.4 can directly email a statement unfortunately.

You can however use AR=>Search to select a specific customer and enable display of Subtotals (checkbox)
This provides a list of invoices and amounts.
You can then generate a PDF from this (link at the bottom of the list) and email it manually.

Once we release version 1.5 it should be possible to email a statement directly from either this screen or a separate report under
AR=>Reports

 I browsed & searched in the manual & FAQ.  I couldn't find a mention of
such a feature.

 Happy to fork the project and attempt to implement the feature if it
isn't.
No Need to fork, this is something I believe should be part of the core project, and I will make sure it's available for V1.5

 Alternatively, if there's a way to authenticate from the command line
(lynx, curl), I suppose I could use wkhtmltopdf and bash .
In theory it's possible to use curl to authenticate and access the results of a search, then generate the required PDF.
No wkhtmltopdf needed.
Something like this should work.
#!/bin/bash

CustomerName="${1:-abba}";

UserName='autoReportingUser';
CompanyName='YourCompany';
URL='';
#Format='CSV';
#Format='PDF';
Format='';
Extn=${Format:-html};
Extn=${Extn,,};
OPT='action=""> OPT+='entity_class=2&'
OPT+='account_id=&'
OPT+='entity_name=$CustomerName&"
OPT+='meta_number=&'
OPT+='person_id=&'
OPT+='bc_count=&'
OPT+='taxable=&'
OPT+='tax_account_id=&'
OPT+='invnumber=&'
OPT+='ordnumber=&'
OPT+='ponumber=&'
OPT+='partnumber=&'
OPT+='source=&'
OPT+='description=&'
OPT+='notes=&'
OPT+='ship_via=&'
OPT+='from_date=&'
OPT+='to_date=&'
OPT+='from_month=&'
OPT+='from_year=&'
OPT+='interval=none&'
OPT+='_on_hold_=on&'
OPT+='open=1&'
OPT+='col_invnumber=1&'
OPT+='col_transdate=1&'
OPT+='col_entity_name=1&'
OPT+='col_netamount=1&'
OPT+='col_amount=1&'
OPT+='col_last_payment=1&'
OPT+='col_paid=1&'
OPT+='col_duedate=1&'
OPT+='col_due=1&'
OPT+='subtotal=1&'
OPT+='col_running_number=&'
OPT+='col_id=&'
OPT+='col_ordnumber=&'
OPT+='col_ponumber=&'
OPT+='col_business_units=&'
OPT+='col_salesperson=&'
OPT+='col_manager=&'
OPT+='col_tax=&'
OPT+='col_curr=&'
OPT+='col_notes=&'
OPT+='col_till=&'
OPT+='col_shipping_point=&'
OPT+='col_ship_via=&'
OPT+="company=$CompanyName"

echo -n > "/tmp/$CustomerName.$Extn" # truncate the output file so we don't end up with stale results
curl --silent --user $UserName -o "/tmp/$CustomerName.html" "$URL/invoice.pl?$OPT"

Save it as eg: GetStatement.sh
Run it as
GetStatement.sh Foo
where Foo is the customer name
The result will be placed in
  • Format=''       "/tmp/$CustomerName.html"
  • Format='PDF'    "/tmp/$CustomerName.pdf"
  • Format='CSV'    "/tmp/$CustomerName.csv"

Changing which "Format=" line is used will switch between HTML, PDF, CSV output formats

 We are a worker's cooperative in Gatineau, Quebec using the software to
track membership payments.  I have not used the software directly myself
yet as I don't manage the accounts.

Thank you & have a good weekend,

Julien Lamarche

Regards