Stock Debian Wheezy (stable) install troubles

I'm having troubles with what I think should be a simple, stock
install on Debian Wheezy using the default Wheezy package
(1.3.18-2).

I can't seem to setup a database!

See the end of my post for installation details, etc.

I can browse to http://192.168.1.207/ledgersmb/setup.pl, enter
"ledgersmb" as the user (not "admin", which is what I expected)
and the password (wordpass) I assigned during the package
setup (that I thought belonged with the use "admin" but that
pair doesn't work) , I see this message in the browser:

###############
Database Management Console
Confirm Operation
Logged in as ledgersmb
Unknown database found.
Cancel?
 [yes]
Backup
[backup DB] [backup Roles]
###############

That doesn't look like it was successful.  But the choices
aren't helpful either.  What next?

So I try going to http://192.168.1.207/ledgersmb/admin.pl.  I
can't seem to find a correct username/password.  I tried:
  ledgersmb and wordpass
     admin  and wordpass
  postgres  and ledgerlock (the password I assigned to
                            the system user "postgres"
                            who, I think, owns the DB)

Next I try going to http://192.168.1.207/ledgersmb/login.pl. I
see the splash screen!  I enter "ledgersmb" as the user,
"wordpass" as the password, testDB as the company.  The error
I see is:
###############
Error!

Database is not the expected version. Was , expected 1.3.18.
Please re-run setup.pl against this database to correct.setup.pl
###############

If I su to user postgres I can list the postgsql databases
postgres@ledger-smb:~$ psql -l
                                  List of databases
   Name    |  Owner   | Encoding |   Collate   |    Ctype    |   Access privileges
-----------+----------+----------+-------------+-------------+-----------------------
 testDB    | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
 ledgersmb | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
 postgres  | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
 template0 | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 | =c/postgres          +
           |          |          |             |             | postgres=CTc/postgres
 template1 | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 | =c/postgres          +
           |          |          |             |             | postgres=CTc/postgres
(5 rows)

I'm not sure what to try next!  I choose to use the Debian
package because I figured it would be easier than a manual
install.

--   Philip, a little bit lost

This is on a VirtualBox VM, though that shouldn't matter.

 $ uname -a
Linux ledger-smb 3.2.0-4-486 #1 Debian 3.2.51-1 i686 GNU/Linux

I did a base install without X, installed "ledgersmb" and let
it install dependencies.  I altered
/etc/apache2/conf.d/ledgersmb-httpd.conf to allow connections
from the LAN, not just localhost.

  Order Deny,Allow
  Allow from 127.0.0.1
  Allow from localhost
  Allow from 192.168.3.0/255.255.255.0
  Deny from All

I assigned a password to the system user "postgres"
 # passwd postgres
 Enter new UNIX password: ledgerlock

During package configuration, as prompted, I entered these:
                     Connection method:  unix socket
         Administrative Authentication:  ident
                   User Authentication:  ident
        database's administrative user:  postgres
                username for ledgersmb:  ledgersmb
                         Database Name:  testDB
    Database administrative user login:  admin
 Database administrative user password:  wordpass

As part of my troubleshooting, I ran dpkg-reconfigure, and
after answering the prompts as above, the terminal reported
this:

dbconfig-common: writing config to /etc/dbconfig-common/ledgersmb.conf
creating postgres user ledgersmb:
already exists.
resetting password:
success.
creating database testDB:
already exists.
dbconfig-common: flushing administrative password

There were a few reports of:
but I don't think those should matter.  It's common to see
those errors after I "sudo su"