Entity usage?

Hello,

FYI, my sql is underdeveloped and rusty.

A SQL comment suggests entities exist as a place to map contacts.

Two questions:

Is this to implement the security given by roles (through the
many link tables)?  If not, I don't see much point in the extra layer
of indirection.  And I'm trying to get a handle on the schema.

As a user, what are the trade-offs amongst: auto-generated entity
keys; having the type record (i.e. customer) and entity have matching
keys; or something else (eg. suffix on entity for entities with
multiple types?

Thanks,
rir