Re: OT: Not sure how to determine owner's equity on a new business I am starting

Well, I'm not an accountant, but equity is basically the total of all
your assets, minus the total of all your liabilities. And you'll find
that on your Balance Sheet (in LedgerSMB, Reports -> Balance Sheet).

So if you are setting up the books from the property owner's
perspective, the loan from your father (and any other loans) should show
up in a liability account, and the market value of the property should
be on the books in an asset account, along with the value of any cash
accounts associated with the business. Materials purchased for the work
and payments to you would be expenses that would get paid out of the
asset accounts, and at the end of any desired accounting period, you
would calculate any appreciation/depreciation of the assets to update
its value to the current market value.

Cheers,
John Locke
http://www.freelock.com