OT: Not sure how to determine owner's equity on a new business I am starting

We are going to build a set of apartments with full baths and dormitory
rooms with a shared bathroom area.

My father will be suppling the funding.
I will be doing the design and labor part.
The property owner has a flat concrete roof, which he always determined
to finish, but never had the funds.

If it was a separate building, no problems, but he lives on the first
floor. All of this will occur in Guatemala to provide housing for
students in a new University about to open within walking distance.

I am totally confused on how to come up with his owner's equity.
Any advice?

Thanks,
Chris Bennett