Re: Accounts List in G/L

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 5:59 AM, Rich Shepard <..hidden..> wrote:
On Sun, 30 Mar 2014, Chris Travers wrote:

> Account numbers are hierarchical, so it makes sense to do a prefix match
> for those, but we can modify the logic so it does an internal match for
> description (so 'soft' would match 'Computer Software' as well as 'Income
> from Microsoft').
>
> Any objection to this change?

Chris,

   No objection, but a comment and a question. Text completion requires
knowing some part of the desired string. A list from which to selecte one
account requires knowing nothing about their numbers or names. Is the latter
that much more difficult (or time consuming) to implement?

In 1.4 we have this already.  The only thing really stopping us from back porting that is that it relies on Dojo, which is a pretty heavy dependency.

   I know nothing about BUI forms; in the Python/wxPython applications I
build a pick-list is one of the available data entry widget types. Perhaps
that's not as easy to do with a web framework.

The difficult aspect is doing something which doesn't inject more dependencies into the 1.3 tree or otherwise destabilize it.  As I say, the way you describe is how things work in 1.4 now (approaching RC1).  I would as soon wait for that.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.          |      Have knowledge, will travel.
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.   |

http://www.efficito.com/learn_more