Re: Packaging LedgerSMB

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Benedict White <..hidden..> wrote:
I am looking to package Ledger SMB on Arch Linux, and wanted to know how
to run the make file to put stuff in a specific location?

Ok.  You probably *don't* want to run the standard make file for creating a package unless you want to do a fair bit of testing first.  The big problem is that all files tend to get installed in $site_perl which is probably not what you want.  In particular you really don't want to install LedgerSMB to vendor perl at present.

Build scripts
for Arch Perl packages can be straightforward if the package will take
exported perl directives such as DESTDIR. (For an example build script
see something like:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pe/perl-acme-travigator/PKGBUILD or
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pe/perl-any-moose/PKGBUILD and you
will see what I mean.

Yeah.  Currently our makefiles are generated by Module::Install, but it might be largely compatible with ExtUtils::Makemaker.  To be honest, I haven't been that happy with Module::Install in the modules I have published in CPAN, and it might be worth moving to ExtUtils::Makemaker.

My main reason for building a package is that there are serious numbers
of perl dependencies and I'm only installing on a test system so I want
to be able to do the install again on a live machine afterwards. (I can
also then post it for others to use as well).

We are really interested in more help with packaging.  If there is anything we can do to help please let us know.

I would suggest taking this discussion up on the -devel list as we can avoid cluttering up the users list with development, packaging, and translation issues.

Kind regards

Benedict White

http://www.efficito.com/learn_more