Re: Questions

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 8:53 PM, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 6:19 PM, o1bigtenor <..hidden..> wrote:
Greetings

I have used a spreadsheet for a general ledger for about the last 25 years and for a long time I couldn't have any more columns than I was already using (I had a sheet developed with about 250 columns). I found ledgersmb and after some time and with assistance was able to get a copy live. I have spent a couple weeks of time each day setting up a chart of accounts to do what I need (farming) that will also keep the federal people happy.

I have run into some things that I either can't find or don't see a way to do.

How do I delete an account or heading from the chart of account?

If the account has no transactions associated, you can delete it.  If it has financial transactions, you cannot.  In 1.4 we offer an obsolete flag.

I see no way of doing that. I tried to create all blank fields and that didn't work. Points please?

This preserves past reporting.

How do I close off a year?

System/Yearend

So I just enter a date and then everything to that date is included?

Hmmmmmmmm - - - I am confused. What about if I have 2 or more years of data. How do I specify which year I want?

snip

2.  Most spreadsheets will connect to the database and you can pull data dynamically there.

I wrote a whitepaper back in 2007 that Microsoft published (and eventually no longer included on their web site) on how to do this from Excel.  You can still read it via archive.org

 http://web.archive.org/web/20090306142208/http://port25.technet.com/videos/research/excelopendbprimer.pdf

It covers MySQL and PostgreSQL.  For other spreadsheets, the techniques may vary.  For example, OpenOffice would use jdbc.  I haven't tried to do this with Gnumeric.

Once you have a connection, then we can talk about how best to pull the data in.  This depends to some extent on what you want (summaries of activity, for example, or more complex reporting).

I will be looking to input something like a value into a cell or adding a number of values and then placing the sum into a cell.
I would very much like to have a hard link so that I could take a snapshot of the software and then I have something for any auditor if/when necessary.

TIA

Darald