Re: installing ledgersmb from source on debian jessie,

On 01/18/2014 01:11 AM, Chris Travers wrote:
>     Action 'configtest' failed.
>     The Apache error log may have more information.
>
>     line 20 is:
>
>     Options +ExecCGI Includes FollowSymlinks
>
> I think you can add + to those if you need them or remove them.  By default we don't have symlinks because they don't get packaged
> properly on Windows.  OTOH, there may be cases where you want them in your specific setup.

Only for a modified appearance ledgersmb UI, so they shouldn't go in the INSTALL notes.
Now it's running and setup.pl presents a confusing login, so I'm skipping to the
prepare-company-database.sh method later this evening.

After using the INSTALL notes, my comment is that it should be broken into several cases,
and they can refer to sections to repeat, but should have the whole order of steps in
each, and they need more explanation of what is needed in general to serve as a goal
and a why for the steps.  The starting intro paragraph should mention dependencies
and the three main codes used, ledgersmb in perl, apache2, and PostgreSQL.  Next explain
how to decide to use INSTALL.windows or INSTALL.debian or INSTALL.FreeBSD or INSTALL.ubuntu,
then wrap up with general mention of choices of how to set up a chart of accounts.
Chart of accounts needs some postgres how-to, or pointers to PostgreSQL howto's on
seeing if a ledgersmb database already exists from a debian automated install, for instance.

The http://localhost/ledgersmb/setup.pl login is unexplained, and so confusing about which
username password pair should be entered.  as it turns on, ledgersmb is spelled out in the first
entry slot titled superuser.
That should be left blank, and titled PostgreSQL instance super user, (to rule out confusion).

The next slot titled password is well named.

The next slot titled database  could be called, "name of the ledgersmb database you want to set up", (to rule out confusion).

John Griessen