Re: LedgerSMB 1.3.x and Apache v2.4?

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 11:24 AM, John Griessen <..hidden..> wrote:
On 01/09/2014 03:54 AM, Pongrácz István wrote:
> My setup based on Debian Wheezy and it is an openvz container.
>
> Depends on your environment, I can recommend the following to you:
> - use a virtual machine or container (openvz/lxc) to bring up an environment for lsmb
> - as this is a server, not a desktop, you should stuck with debian wheezy
> - if you prefer apache, just install ledgersmb via the package manager -> it will install every dependencies you need. You can upgrade the ledgersmb manually or tweak your settings (remove ledgersmb itself and modify your configs to your needs).
>
> - Optionally you can install nginx and fcgiwrap together -> apt-get install nginx fcgiwrap , that's all. You can find a sample config a short README in the latest svn snapshot in the 1.3 line, check the contrib directory.

Thanks.  How about docker?  Are there cheap ISPs for virtual linux slices that can run docker
containerized apps in their own virtual worlds?   As in rent one VPS for $10 or $20 a month
depending on performance, and create as many containers on it as you like and have IP addresses
for?

Ranging somewhat off-topic but being in the hosting business now, I think your huge limitation is going to be regarding IPv4 addresses.  In general, there are ways around this (ipv6 plus iptables-based nat, effectively routing between a vm-contained "network" and the external network).  I don't know what we'd charge if a customer asked for something like this, though.  Probably more than $20/month.

That would take away lots of server running worry about library dependency hell,
flaky apps taking down the whole thing, etc...

I wonder to some extent though what the market is for this.  If you are dealing with multiple services and dependency issues, I suspect you are going to need a virtual server more powerful than what you can get for $20/month.   Also keep in mind that the complexity has overhead as well.  Docker looks like a nice environment for solving certain kinds of problems, but it also looks to my eyes as something that would be used on cheap linux slices mostly as a deployment mechanism, and that if you were sharing a lot of services, it would seem to my mind to be looking at it as an alternative to (rather than supplement for) virtualization.

I was searching for some way that was cheap
6 months ago and could not find, but now there's lxc and docker.  Anyone here expert on them yet?

Not yet, I am afraid.  I just skimmed the docs now.

Again somewhat off-topic.  But would be happy to continue the conversation off-list.  Always interested in learning new stuff.  Also questions about packaging LedgerSMB on something like Docker might be better on the -devel list.

John

http://www.efficito.com/learn_more.shtml