Re: Cash reporting of Advances on AR

John,

I do not have a CPA but I do have practical accounting knowledge.

Typically, you pick cash-based accounting or accrual-based accounting and then stick with it.

Accrual-based accounting is far more common than cash-based accounting.

From Wikipedia: (Revenue Recognition)

“The revenue recognition principle is a cornerstone of accrual accounting together with matching principle. They both determine the accounting period, in which revenues and expenses are recognized. According to the principle, revenues are recognized when they are realized or realizable, and are earned (usually when goods are transferred or services rendered), no matter when cash is received. In cash accounting – in contrast – revenues are recognized when cash is received no matter when goods or services are sold.”

If you have received cash for a service project, but not yet earned it, you can debit the banking account where you deposited the cash and credit a liability account such as “customer deposits”.

Regards,

..hidden..