Re: postgresql settings in fedora 18?

On Wed, 4 Dec 2013 19:20:46 -0800
Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2013 2:53 AM, "ario" <..hidden..> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, trying to get it working.
> >
> > I found a postgresql.conf file in three directories:
> > /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/postgresql.conf
> > /usr/share/pgsql/postgresql.conf.sample
> > /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
>
> It is the third.
> >
> > I guess I don't have to bother about the first one.
> > The presence of the second (.sample) one suggests this file needs
> > to be copied (to postgresql.conf) within the same dir and edited
> > properly.
> >
> > Which one is finally used by pgsql,
> > the /usr/share/pgsql/postgresql.conf or
> > the /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf one?
> >

> > Especially the 'listen to' entry asks for attention here, as it
> > says:
> >
> > #port = 5432                            # (change requires restart)
> > # Note: In RHEL/Fedora installations, you can't set the port number
> > here; # adjust it in the service file instead.
> >
> > As this is a fedora install I would need to know what 'they' mean by
> > 'service file'.
> >

> > Was the postgresql.conf file not assumed to be configured during
> > ledgersmb install? In that case something would have gone wrong
> > there.
>
> In Fedora the standard Pg conf file locations. The configuration
> files are in the Pg data directory.  If Pg is running it is
> configured.  What problem are you trying to solve? Trying to run it
> on a nonstandard port?

I am still trying to find out why I get this

"The connection was reset
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
    The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in
    a few moments. If you are unable to load any pages, check your
    computer's network connection. If your computer or network is
    protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is
    permitted to access the Web.
"

when I try to connect to 127.0.0.1:5432, while connecting to
127.0.0.1:80 gives me the Fedora Test Page.
So I tried to find out where httpd is 'told' to transfer a page request
to postgresql when port 5432 is called in order to troubleshoot my
problem. Of course troubleshooting requires an understanding of how
things work, which I really don't know yet :/

Hence my question which conf files are relevant to ledgersmb.
I also found out that httpd, when called as root, results in only one
process run by root, and 6 more processes by apache.
So I suspect that also (or is that the only cause?) permissions are not
set correctly.

Which brings me to the next subject: what permissions/owners should
various directories have?
Should the pgsql/data dir be owned by apache?

regards,
ario