Re: Seek more attention; Re: Better tools for community cohesion?

Hi Chris,

Been meaning to respond to your mail ever since it came in months ago. Was sorry to hear you were not doing well - yet glad that meant LedgerSMB was getting development attention.

Did you recover from your fysical problems? How did your efforts for LedgerSMB turn out? Did anything specific come from it? Maybe something you can share with us?

Bye,

Erik.

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM, Chris Bennett <..hidden..> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 08:23:04PM +0200, Erik Huelsmann wrote:

> The fact that LedgerSMB runs on OpenBSD, Linux-in-all-its-variants and
> Windows pretty much eliminates the possibility to build a generally usable,
> one-size-fits-all installer with dependencies. Combined with the fact that
> on many Linux/Unix systems LedgerSMB will share its Apache and PostgreSQL
> usage with other applications, we think it's not safe to change
> pg_hba.conf, postgresql.conf and/or apache configuration files. This leaves
> open a great opportunity for contributions either to the project directly
> or to the community in general through separate projects. I'm all in favor
> for either. Debian has such a project: the Debian LedgerSMB package, which
> is delevoped in the Debian project. As I said, I greatly welcome similar
> efforts.
>
> In addition of the above, I'd like to point out that the term ERP in my
> original post was chosen with care. If your choice of terms regarding
> "accounting system" is chosen with equal care, I think we might not have
> the same goals as I consider accounting as just one of the aspects an ERP
> has to provide. The others minimally being order management, invoicing,
> quoting, inventory management, credit risk management (including AR, AP and
> arrears) and several others. As you probably understand, these additional
> functionalities require additional dependencies. With additional
> dependencies come additional setup complexities. If all you want is
> accounting, maybe we need additional instructions on how to install a
> slimmed down version which installs without all the hassle?
> --
> Bye,
>
> Erik.

Speaking of installers and uninstallers. I now (unfortunately) have time
to work on both for OpenBSD. A cracked rib and a couple of weeks on
Hydrocodone do wonders for giving time off work!

I am pulling together the dependencies in order to make a proper port of
LedgerSMB for OpenBSD.
There are a couple of Perl dependencies that I have time to submit to
make official. (Template::Plugin::Latex).

Right now I am getting a better script to setup a database, ledgersmb-httpd.conf and the
ledgersmb files placed where desired and with the proper group/user
ownership. The httpd.conf file is almost exactly the same as base
install. I can add that in an examples directory.
The script is both interactive or manually run with command line options
to allow it to be used from another script.
The script asks for all of the options such as postgres user and
database name. If postgres password is used and what it is.
What the company name is, etc.

I also have a better script that defaults to interactive, but can also
be run with command line options to drop a database and all of the
associated roles and offer to see a list of other roles which could be
dropped if desired.

One of my reasons for wanting both of these scripts to work "offline" is
to allow the possibility that accounting is done by one person and the
webmaster is another separate person.
It would be nice to just install LedgerSMB, run a script answering a few
simple questions, let the webmaster fiddle a few things into working and
just login, never needing to run setup.pl at all.
So that installation "just works".

What I haven't gotten to work yet is creating the administrative user
from this script. I still have to call up setup.pl for that.

Chris Bennett

Bye,

Erik.

Robust and Flexible. No vendor lock-in.