Re: Seek more attention; Re: Better tools for community cohesion?

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 5:11 PM, John Locke <..hidden..> wrote:
On 08/02/2013 04:17 PM, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
Hi Marjan,

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Marjan Waldorp <..hidden..> wrote:

If the LSMB project wants to seek more attention, there might be some issues to consider:

1. Move to Git
Today SVN is really old fashioned.
This might label LSMB as old fashioned and might distract new developers.
Move to Git! github?
We moved from SVN to Git ourselves. Git is the better tool, definitely.

Thanks for your suggestions!

There was some discussion on the developers mailing list recently which might change that though: a number of people have stepped up to start working on the font end - i.e. the web browser UI. Since the developers who stepped up to work on that are not part of the group of developers who can rewrite the LedgerSMB core as well as that they are experienced web application developers, I think this is a great step: it'll definitely improve LedgerSMB's UI as well as the development pace.

Of course, there are always areas where more contributions are highly welcomed. Things like: testing, translations, demo or actual templates and UI improvements to name just a few for people interested in development. Those interested in the community side of things might more like to contribute to answer questions in forums, the mailing list or help complete the book.

Hi,

I'd really be in favor of item #1 from Marjan's list -- move to git and github.

I spent an hour or so Wednesday evening attempting to get a clean git-svn copy of the subversion tree, so I could commit my UI changes branch to Subversion. And failed. Which is why the UI changes are not yet in...

Unless I can figure out how to get a git repo to push my changes into Subversion, it looks like I'll have to go back to committing one change at a time, manually, using svn -- a big waste of time when git is so easy -- especially for doing branched development where we're developing features to get merged in when ready to go (and can then be kept out of a release if not ready)...

Is there a reasonable way you can diff, patch, and commit from a "clean" git branch?

Cheers,
John Locke
http://www.freelock.com

http://www.efficito.com/learn_more.shtml