Re: What is GIFI and should I care?

Hi Mikkel,

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Mikkel HÃgh <..hidden..> wrote:
Hi LedgerSMB,

I'm working on setting up LedgerSMB for my business in Switzerland, and for that, I'm setting up a new Chart of Accounts (which I plan to contribute back to the community when it's done).

However, I don't know what I ought to fill in as GIFI codes, or whether those are even relevant here. There's not a whole lot of information out there, but it appears that it's used by the Canadian tax department: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/crprtns/rtrn/wht/gifi-ogrf/menu-eng.html â am I correct in assuming that it's not relevant here?

While indeed GIFI is used by the Canadian tax department, you can use GIFI for any alternative-numbering-scheme requirements you may have. I know that France, while not named GIFI has some legal numbering requirements as well. (I wasn't able to find any for Switserland by quickly browsing around on the web, though.)

Given the above, I'd say you don't care and shouldn't. In the Netherlands we don't have any legal numbering requirements, so I know I didn't.

--
Bye,

Erik.

http://efficito.comÂ-- Hosted accounting and ERP.