Re: Bug or Feature: "Shipping > Receive" and "Create Vendor Invoice" both enter parts into inventory

Hi Zev, Brian,

Sorry for the late response. The week was quite hectic on my side.

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 10:04 PM, Brian Wolf <..hidden..> wrote:

> Zev is using 1.3.33.
> However, since we did a few customization, updates may not have been taken on all modules.
> How do we NOW merge in any changes that would affect this functionality?

The way I do it is to have a local repository with all the local changes. The repository uses the "vendor branch" pattern to mirror the upstream repository. Any changes coming from upstream get merged into the vendor branch and after that merged from the branch to the trunk - where your customizations reside, I presume. See more about vendor branches at http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.8/svn.advanced.vendorbr.html.

> When does the company actually take possession of the goods they're purchasing? At receiving (when the company has physical possession of the goods) or when paying for them (vendor invoice)?

The registration of the "taking into possession" has to go together with the actual delivery of the goods and/or services. This means that the actual payment of the goods is something separate entirely -- at least as far as accounting is concerned.

> It seems to me that a company should be able to CHOOSE which methodology to follow. Some companies consider the goods belonging to them after they receive them. This approach would create a liability to pay for the goods. Other companies have to pay for goods BEFORE they are shipped, since some vendors will not let let goods leave their warehouses unless paid for.

Well, these companies - while they probably exist - don't follow international accounting standards and regulations. It's simply not allowed to consider goods yours before shipment.

Any payment made before shipment is - from an accounting perspective - to be considered a prepayment: a balance held with vendor to deduct any future invoices.

> Unless a company can choose which methodology to follow, some may find the workflow awkward since it doesn't fit their situation. Being able to choose when accounting and inventory changes are applied makes LedgerSMB highly customizable.

While I don't disagree that some workflows may need better support, the accounting side of it should result in roughly the same postings either way.

If you have any specific use cases to discuss, let's see what problems LedgerSMB currently has to handle them: we've been working off use-cases from real users because they help sharpen the requirements.

--
Bye,

Erik.

http://efficito.comÂ-- Hosted accounting and ERP.
Robust and Flexible. No vendor lock-in.

[...]

Thanks.
Brian

Brian Wolf
Email: ..hidden..
Try out Activus Secure Paymentsâ, our recurring payments application.