partial refund on closed invoice

I have an AR invoice for let's say $100 which has been paid and closed.

Subsequently I want to reduce the amount of the original invoice by
let's say $50 and refund the balance.

In another case, I have a closed AR invoice, but a partial payment by
credit card has now been charged back by the bank. I have to treat this
as a (partial) bad debt. It's rather similar to the first scenario above.

Can I anyone tell me what the correct work flow is?

Thanks

--
David McQuire
0418 310312