Custom menu options

I see that there is a reference to a custom menu PERL script at the bottom of menu.pl:

eval { do "scripts/custom/menu.pl"};

Can someone provide me with some background information on what the script should return (or print or whatever)?
How do you add, modify or enhance certain menu options?

Thanks.
Brian

Brian Wolf
Phone: 410.367.2958
Email: ..hidden..
Try out Activus Secure Payments™, our recurring payments application.