Re: max_connections (integer)

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Brian Wolf <..hidden..> wrote:
We have a daemon (process) that monitors certain aspects of Postgres database.  When querying today using an object relational mapper (ORM) called SQLAlchemy, the following error was encountered:

sqlalchemy.exc.OperationalError: (OperationalError) FATAL:  connection limit exceeded for non-superusers

This posting on Stack Overflow indicates that the error was caused by insufficient connections available.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4087238/python-django-and-threading-problem

The posting below on the PostgreSQL site states that max_connections (integer) parameter defaults to 100 connections.  There are just a handful of users.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/runtime-config-connection.html

Does anyone know why this would happen?
Perhaps some connections are not being closed properly?

A few questions:

1)  If you:  ps -A | grep post | wc -l

what do you get?

Secondly can you review your postgresql.conf?  If you want to send it to me I would be happy to look at it.

Thanks.
Brian

Brian Wolf
Email: ..hidden..
Try out Activus Secure Payments™, our recurring payments application.