Re: Archive and purge

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012, Erik Huelsmann wrote:

If you don't mind me asking: what's the problem with the old volumes? The fact that there's too much storage taken up by the data? Or does your server get slower due to the amount of data it has to sift through?

Oh, a lot of little things which make working through day to day operations a pain. The biggest pain is that I seldom have repeat customers and with used books every book is unique even if you have two copies of the same book-- so I build up a lot of cruft. Also, since the data has been moved through three different accounting systems it has weird inconsistencies.

I'm thinking I'd like to start clean when 1.4 goes stable.

In case of the latter, maybe we can alleviate the problem until the older data has been archived? The thing is that if you don't use period closes, then I can imagine the database having become too heavy. However, if you close your books (enter a closed period) as of some rather recent date (e.g. 2011-12-31) then the server can create a "snapshot" to optimize queries for balances after that date.

Bye,

Erik.