Can't call method "quote_identifier" on an undefined value

Attempting to install LedgerSMB (ledgersmb-1.3.26) on a clean install of Debian Squeeze. I have gone through the installation instructions and get to the second from the last step of running setup.pl where the page that asks via a scroll-down menu for the scheme to use (ie General.sql or Service.sql). Selecting General.sql the next page errors out.

I go into the Apache error log and the pertinent errors appears to be this (I noticed some permission errors on /tmp but fixed those)

>INFO - LedgerSMB::Scripts::setup::create_db -- create_and_load rc=1

>Can't call method "quote_identifier" on an undefined value at /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/LedgerSMB.pm line 795.,92.168.1.10/ledgersmb/setup.pl

>Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/ledgersmb/setup.pl line 8.

>Premature end of script headers: setup.pl, referer: http://192.168.1.10/ledgersmb/setup.pl

The line in question is:

$procname = $dbh->quote_identifier($procname);

which if I look up a few lines the object $dbh is defined as:

my $dbh = $LedgerSMB::App_State::DBH;

Any pointers?

Also is there a Linux distribution that LedgerSMB most easily installs under? I am setting up a machine dedicated to LedgerSMB so I have the freedom of choice here. Thanks in advance.