Re: Barcode Software

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Brian Wolf <..hidden..> wrote:
Has anyone tried using the CPAN module to generate & print barcodes?

Depends on what you want to do.  I haven't tried it but I notice it is CODE128 which may not be what you want if you are trying to print barcodes for retail purposes.  You would want to use UPC-E since you are in the US (for those reading from Europe, this is similar to EAN there).  Different barcode scanners encode information differently so using the wrong type will result in problems.

Anyway, I recommend reading this first:  http://www.scandit.com/2011/10/13/types-barcode-upc-ean-code128-vs-qr-datamatrix/

Also note:  Most barcode decoders (on-scanner or otherwise) have to be programmed to know what sort of barcode they are expecting so you don't want to mix these in an environment.

Perhaps even incorporate barcode generation into LedgerSMB?

I have used pdftricks and pstricks to generate barcode scanners in LaTeX templates.  This is not a problem.  The key question, as always, is what exactly you want to do.

http://mirror.hmc.edu/ctan/graphics/pstricks/contrib/pst-barcode/pst-barcode-doc.pdf
http://ctan.cermin.lipi.go.id/graphics/pstricks/contrib/pst-pdf/pst-pdf.pdf
http://www.ctan.org/pkg/pdftricks