Re: Install fails at a basic first step when installing perl modules - INSTALL needs changing

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 8:09 AM, Kevin Bailey <..hidden..> wrote:
On 17/10/12 15:25, Chris Travers wrote:
Adding to the requirements section of the INSTALL:

To build using the Makefile.PL you will also need:

  Module::Install

Unfortunately that means nothing to anyone who does not have experience of perl.

I pretty much guarantee you that if we make the INSTALL cover all the differences between Slackware, Debian, SuSE, Fedora and RHEL, Mandriva, Gentoo, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, DragonflyBSD, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Mac OS X, you will end up with a document that will be less useful and more confusing.

I don't have a problem with there being OS/distro-specific installs with this information, but it doesn't belong in the main INSTALL file.

How do we install it - what line should be used - are there any distro packages available.

The INSTALL file is there for the tarball, source installation.

It might be useful though to add this if people don't think it's condescending or anything:

Before You Begin:

Please make sure that Perl and the cpan client are installed and you are familiar with their basic use.  If you are not familiar with their basic use, please refer to the cpan manual page for more information.