Re: Install fails at a basic first step when installing perl modules

On 17/10/12 00:15, Kevin Bailey wrote:
Hi,

I've set up a Debian squeeze server from scratch to install LedgerSMB on
and followed the steps in the INSTALL file.

When trying to install the perl modules I get:

..hidden..:~/web$ perl Makefile.PL
Can't locate inc/Module/Install.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10
/usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at Makefile.PL line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 5.

I've kept notes and these are the steps taken so far:

Get ledgersmb files

As this was to be installed as a separate website outside of the
packaging system it was put into a new user account called ledgersmb.
The files of ledgersmb were put into /home/ledgersmb/web

Install base packages

# apt-get install apache2
# apt-get install postgresql postgresql-client postgresql-contrib

NB - This is different from the LedgerSMB? INSTALL file.

Set up smbledger database admin user

..hidden..:~$ createuser -s -P lsadmin
Enter password for new role:
Enter it again:
..hidden..:~$

NB - Default Postgresql on Debian will probably allow for direct login.

Install extra packages required by LedgerSMB?

Here we will install all perl packages that we can from Debian archive
so that we don't need to get many from cpan.

apt-get install libdatetime-perl libdbi-perl libdbd-pg-perl
libcgi-simple-perl libtemplate-perl libconfig-std-perl libmime-lite-perl
liberror-perl liblocale-maketext-lexicon-perl libtest-exception-perl
libtest-trap-perl liblog-log4perl-perl libmath-bigint-gmp-perl
libfile-mimeinfo-perl
apt-get install texlive-latex-recommended

NB - This will install quite a few packages.

apt-get install libxml-twig-perl

Now we need to use the built-in perl package checker and downloader.

cd /home/ledgersmb/web

..hidden..:~/web$ perl Makefile.PL
Can't locate inc/Module/Install.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10
/usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at Makefile.PL line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 5.

As perl is quite key I need to get this sorted before going any further.

Any help gratefully received.

Kevin Bailey

If it helps - locate is giving me:

..hidden..:~/web$ perl Makefile.PL
Can't locate inc/Module/Install.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at Makefile.PL line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 5.
..hidden..:~/web$ locate Install.pm
/usr/share/perl/5.10.1/ExtUtils/Install.pm
..hidden..:~/web$

But I'm a bit worried about what appears to be a simple bug - and not working with perl I'm not comfortable trying to change anything.

Regards,

Kevin