cash transfer problem (Error! No such function: file__list_by)

I have just set up a new database on LSMB 1.3.21.  I got as far as creating an owner's equity account, and tried to do a cash transfer to establish the initial balance in the checking account. (I hope that this is the right way to do this bookkeeping task.)(  I am getting an error when I try the cash transfer:

Error!

No such function: file__list_by

The same error shows up when I try to enter a new part.  In the case of the cash transfer, the transfer does not show up in the chart of accounts.  In the case of entering a part, the new part is there, but cannot be edited - when I try, the same error shows up at the top of the screen, followed by the normal part entry screen, but with no 'save' buttons at the bottom.

In my apache error logs I get:

                  UPDATE gl
                   SET reference = '8',
                      description = '',
                      notes = '',
                      transdate = ?,
                      department_id = ?
                WHERE id = ?2012/08/03 14:02:11 - INFO - LedgerSMB::new -- setting dbh from argstr $self->{dbh}=DBI::db=HASH(0x2f02950)
[Fri Aug 03 14:02:11 2012] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /usr/local/ledgersmb/css/, referer: http://banjo.home/ledgersmb/gl.pl

for the cash transfer and

[Fri Aug 03 13:44:48 2012] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /usr/local/ledgersmb/css/, referer: http://banjo.home/ledgersmb/ic.pl?action="">

for adding the part.

I do not know if this is related, but I also get the error "Directory transversal not allowed" when I click on the "Stylesheet" menu item.

I am running LSMB 1.3.21 on Ubuntu 12.04.  I Initially installed 1.3.17 following the Ubuntu install notes in ledgsmb/doc/Notes.Ubuntu.  I then upgraded to 1.3.20 & shortly afterward to 1.3.21 before creating the new database where I'm having this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

yrs
matt