Re: Options for installing Ledger-SMB

On 22/03/12 15:26, Jigme Datse Rasku wrote:
> I'm struggling to find an accounting package that suits my needs, that
> also is not more expensive than I currently can afford.  Sure I could
> go with something as simple as a spreadsheet in LibreOffice.  Doesn't
> really suit my needs that well.  Ledger SMB looks to be a good fit,
> but the last time I tried to install it on my OS X machine I spent
> hours and hours trying to get it installed, and never managed to get
> it installed.  I've thought of a number of options, one of which would
> be purchasing a netbook with some flavour of Linux on it.  Problem
> with that idea is that comes into the too expensive for my business at
> this time right now problem.  So any other ideas?  Ways to get Ledger
> SMB running on my iMac? Or some other option that might be somewhat
> similar to Ledger SMB, that is easier to setup under OSX?
>

> Thank you
>
> Jigme Datse Rasku
>
> --
> ..hidden..
> http://datsemultimedia.com/
> http://twitter.com/DatseMultimeda
> http://plurk.com/DatseMultimedia
> 250-352-9870
>
> Jigme Datse Rasku
> Datse Multimedia Productions
> Unit 42
> 567 Ward Street
> Nelson, BC V1L 1T1

Hi Jigme,

I would personally recommend a virtual machine, Havard mentioned Virtual
Box as an option there is also VMware Player.
VMware Player can be easier to setup on some platforms, and these days
includes the ability to create a VM (Virtual Machine) from scratch as well.

As a host for the VM I would recommend using a debian net install disk,
this will provide a very small footprint, without removing access to any
packages you may need.

If you want a hand to set up a vm please let me know.

Regards
David G